Thriving Days and Emerging Careers Of Science: Relax and rewind your life for 4-5 years and imagine how our life has changed soo much. We have achieved so much and crossed soo many boundaries; we mean, just 2-3 years ago, there were rickshaws for our transportation, now we can enjoy the comfort of AC within an electronic rickshaw. There is no doubt that science and technology have brought remarkable changes that to even think about a few years back would have been an accomplishment in itself.
- NEET-UG 2022: Application Form Started; Apply Till May 6
- NEET-UG 2022: Exam on July 17, 2022 (Sunday)
- NEET 2022 LMS: Prepare your NEET 2022 Exam with Top Faculty Classes, Notes, Papers, Quiz etc. Know more
Similarly, if we recollect our memory, careers in science were confined to Engineering and Medicine. Even though many people still believe that engineering and medicine is the holy grail of a science student, as modern advancements had made our lives easier and faster, it also had made many emerging careers in science, and it is beyond MBBS and Engineering.
So, just like we keep our phones up to date, let’s get updated with the career trend as well. This article is about the 7 emerging careers for science students that bring new hope to science’s educational future.
Top 7 Emerging Careers Option For Science Students
Let’s have a look Top 7 Emerging Careers Option For Science Students in a brief description.
1. Robotics: Remember, in the year 1984, the first Terminator movie was released; yes, yes, you probably wouldn’t even be born at that time, and so was I, but still, that movie made fame like no other. It changed human mindsets and thinking about the machine. Now, if we think of our distant future, say 10-20 years ahead, what is the one thing that you think would change, and it almost always comes to mind? “Robots”. The best thing about robots is, they are not a part of our far-off future fantasy and exist in our real lives.
We could already see the usage of robots in automating industries tasks; they are visiting other planets, performing surgeries, defusing bombs, and doing so many stuff that is too dangerous for humans to do.
We can witness the advancement in this field already in the form of humanoid robots who can walk, talk and express humans, for instance, look at Sophia, rumour has it that Sophia want to carry a child and be a mother, well, if she wants it no one is stopping her. In 2013, Google acquired 8 American and Japanese robotics companies in a single year, reflecting how important the future of technology lies in this domain.
The field of robotics is already evolving quickly, and due to its speed of development, there is already a huge demand for engineers to build and program them. Robotics engineers require mechanical engineering, electronics engineering, computer programming, AI, machine learning, neural networks, and other related areas.
|Course Of Study|
|If you are interested in the field of Robotics, you can pursue B.Tech in Mechanical/Electronics/Robotics Engineering, followed by a master’s degree in Robotics.|
2. Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning: Who run the world? The answer is a computer in modern time, and in this computer dominated world, you must have heard the words Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning. But what do you exactly understand by them? AI is a field of computer science that deals with the production of smart machines and systems that can think and process information and data as humans do. For instance, you must have acquainted with two of the most famous AI systems; you might use them regularly. Yes, we are talking about Siri and Alexa. The voice recognition system uses machine learning to understand human language and respond to it intelligently. Another most common example would be Facebook, how it recognises familiar faces from your contact list. Using its algorithms, it automatically makes an accurate suggestion for tagging your friends.
From Google or Safari to Netflix to Ola or Uber, each of the applications you encounter in your day-to-day life uses AI and Machine learning to make quick, efficient and more personal technologies. AI is predicted to create more than 2.5 million job opportunities by the year 2021. Thus this is a field that is one of the most emerging domains in science and technology.
|Course Of Study|
|Those who would like to go for this emerging careers option can pursue a B.Tech degree in computer science, followed by a master’s degree in Machine Learning or Computer Science or Mathematics.|
3. Environmental Science and Sustainable Development: If you live in Delhi, you might be aware of Delhi Smog, which was so critical that it was declared a public health emergency. And not just Delhi; every metropolitan city is facing the same thing. If you must know, in 2015, WHO claimed that more than 2.5 million Indians die of pollution every year.
This is among the millions of alarming news about environmental issues, wildlife extinction, wildfire, global warming, and whatnot that make the headlines nearly every day. It is really saddening to say that we will be facing human extinction soon without any proper action.
Environmental Sustainability Science is a branch of science that provides an integrated and quantitative approach to the study of environmental systems. Professionals and experts from this field study issues related to the environment and try to find ways of preventing damage to the environment and managing development so that it does not compromise the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Given the scenario and how things are happening, humankind is facing a serious threat in the future, and the demand for professionals from this field is growing by the hour. So, not only are the experts from this field in demand by the companies and industries, but they are also in demand by humanity.
|Course Of Study|
|To be a part of this emerging careers option, a Bachelor degree in Environmental Management or Science or a B.Tech in Environmental Engineering followed by a master’s degree in the same field is required.|
4. Food and Agricultural Science: Food is one of the most important elements to sustain life on earth, especially for a primarily agriculture-based economy like India. Indian agriculture still accounts for nearly 18% of Indian GDP and plays a crucial role in internal and external trade. Thus it is fair to put the domain of agriculture in the emerging careers option for young students.
Counter to many people’s beliefs, the agricultural and food field is not about ploughing or farming. Still, it is a technologically precocious field with cutting-edge research and continuous innovations. Horticulture, Dairy Technology, Agricultural Biotechnology, Agronomy, Food Technology, Pisciculture are a few avenues one can look for to build a profession in this fast-paced emerging careers option.
Food and agricultural scientists aim to enhance the quality and quantity of crops, dairy products, agricultural products and food patterns. This field involves a strong dedication to experimenting and surveying food production, preservation techniques and study of soils and crops.
|Course Of Study|
|To build a profession in this emerging career option, one has to go for a bachelor’s and master’s degree in agriculture, horticulture, agronomy, or any sub-fields required. Students can also go for B.Tech and M.Tech in Agriculture Engineering.|
5. Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering: Do you remember the talk of Bionic Foot between Chandler and Ginger in Friends? At that time, it was just a fantasy of the far future. A couple of years ago, I meant losing a foot in an accident or illness felt like the whole life is over. Well, in today’s world, life is not over. The consistent innovation in prosthetics engineering that we should thank for made walking running, or even climbing mountains a possible reality for amputees, and the great thing this is just one of the applications of Bioengineering.
Bioengineering is one of the youngest disciplines o engineering. It employs the principles and tools of engineering to solve biology, medicine, healthcare, and other related domains. Artificial organs, tissue engineering, medical imaging, engineered microorganisms, biomaterials, computer simulation for surgery, and even wearable technologies are all examples of Bioengineering in today’s world.
This field is a brimming option in modern emerging careers filled with opportunities and innovations and allows professionals to experiment and develop cutting-edge medical solutions.
|Course Of Study|
|To be part of this emerging careers option, a degree of B.tech and M.Tech in Biomedical Engineering is required. Also, the student must take the combination of PCMB in 10+2 to be eligible.|
6. Sports Medicine: Sports has always been like a religion in various countries. People forget eating, drinking, or sleeping in India when the Indian Cricket Team loses the World Cup Finals. Now it is seriously considered into emerging careers as well.
Playing games is not the only way to enter the sports world, thanks to this emerging careers field gaining popularity among science students, Sports Medicine. These field professionals are trained to help athletes improve their sports performance, prevent injuries while playing and manage their training and nutrition. These professionals who work in sports medicine tend to be athletes and work with adults and teens who exercise and are active in other ways.
Sports Medicine experts do not include just doctors but also Sports Psychologists, Sports Nutritionists, Physical Therapists, Exercise Physiologists and Athletic trainers. The scope of this emerging careers option is huge, and it is only bound to increase in future as the culture of sports is booming in India.
|Course Of Study|
|To become a sports medicine doctor, you will need to pursue an MBBS followed by an MD in Sports Medicine. Other related professions can be M.Sc in Sports Medicine or MA in Sports Psychology.|
7. Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security: Remember, in 2017, Zomato faced a major hacking attack where the data of 17 million users was stolen. SImilarily in 2016, Dropbox’s 68 million users passwords and personal data were found to be circulating on the internet.
With businesses going digital and technologies keep advancing, our data are more vulnerable than ever before to cybersecurity threats. Hence, no doubt, ethical hacking has become one of the most demanding emerging careers options in today’s world. An ethical hacker is a computer and networking expert whose job is to penetrate its security system to identify its weaknesses. They are crucial in helping companies enhance their internet security.
According to survey results, by the year, 2026 about 28% of jobs increment will be there in cybersecurity.
|Course Of Study|
|To make a profession in this emerging careers option, a background in computers is recommended. After that, a certification course in Certified Ethical Hacker, Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator and Certified Security Analyst.|
The modern world is full of possibilities, now the times are not confined to a few choices, the trend is changing, and you should take advantage of it. With every passing moment, technology and science are enhancing and improving, helping develop new and emerging careers opportunities for millions of people out there. The only thing that you should know is to grab that opportunity and, with emerging careers options, grow your life with it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
A. 10 Emerging Careers That Will Dominate the Future of Work
Artificial Intelligence Specialist
Site Reliability Engineer
Customer Success Specialist
Sales development representative
A. Software developers and software quality assurance analysts and testers
General and operations managers
Medical and health services managers
Market research analysts and marketing specialists